Monday 27 August 2012

HISTORICAL FANTASY REVIEW: Fate - L R Fredericks

Release Date: 05/07/12

SYNOPSIS:

FATE is the story of Lord Francis Damory's quest for the elixir of immortality. Set against the magnificent background of the eighteenth century where science and magic, death and beauty meet in the gilded salons of the decadent nobility and the brothels and debtors' prisons of London, Francis tells of his many love affairs and his deadly duels, his encounters with courtesans and castrati, alchemists and anatomists, Rosicrucians, visionaries, monsters, charlatans, spies and assassins. His travels take him through France, across the Alpine passes to Venice and the pirate-infested Mediterranean Sea to Egypt, Cyprus and distant, exotic Constantinople on the trail of his mysterious ancestor Tobias who might - just possibly - still be alive.


REVIEW:

To be honest I read quite a bit of fantasy so I’m always on the look out for something a little different as well as something that brings a story over in a way that not only entertains but gives me something a little bit extra. What this title from LR Fredericks presents is a story with a whole host of element that blend together to create a great whole. If you want a love story, you have it, you want adventure, yep that too and if you like something that pushes boundaries bring historical fiction and fantasy together then all in, you’re in for a treat.

Add to this some solid prose with a huge cast and all in it’s a standalone that works very well. Back that up with an author who loves to tell a story that brings their own identifiable style and all in, you’ve got something a little bit special. Great.



1 comment:

ediFanoB said...

I read a lot of your reviews and therefore I know when you praise a book it must be indeed something special.

I added the book immediately to my list. But I'm afraid I have to wait a bit until I can buy a copy.....