Monday 21 May 2012

DVD REVIEW: The Darkest Hour - Emile Hirsch, Rachael Taylor, Olivia Thirlby, Max Minghella, Joel Kinnaman


Release Date: 21/05/12

SYNOPSIS:

The Darkest Hour follows five young people who find themselves stranded in Moscow, following an unexplained global disaster and fighting to survive in the wake of a devastating alien attack… This sci-fi thriller highlights the classic beauty of Moscow alongside mind-blowing special effects from the genius of legendary film-maker Timur Bekmanbetov (Wanted and Night Watch).


REVIEW:

Like a great many people I tend to make a note of films that interest me but ones that I’m not 100% sure are worth the price of admission to the cinema to see, as such I have a whiteboard with films that I like the look of and wait for the DVD or if I’m really not sure, wait for the DVD to go down to a fiver before spending my money on it.

What attracted me to “The Darkest Hour” was the concept of invisible aliens that kill through disintegrating and can only be tracked through the activation of electrical items that power up when they’re near. It was interesting, it was set in Russia and for me, a film that relies on a relatively small cast to draw the reader in is usually something that works very well for me as a viewer. Alas this is the crutch of the film as for me, I didn’t find the cast believable. The acting was dire they didn’t bring the fear over and sadly with the acting being very wooden, it left me feeling short changed. Don’t get me wrong, the film had solid effects, a decent premise and of course a familiar road to travel for the viewer, but with dire acting, it left the viewer wondering why they should readily care about them.

Sadly this was the films downfall for me and whilst I did find it entertaining for an evening, I wouldn’t pay full price for it.

No comments: