Thursday 29 December 2011

URBAN FANTASY REVIEW: Makayla Lane 4: Dreamfever - Karen Marie Moning

Release Date: 08/12/11

SYNOPSIS:

Recommended by Charlaine Harris, author of the series that inspired HBO's hit series TRUE BLOOD, this new #1 Bestselling series will take readers by storm! They may have stolen my past, but I'll never let them take my future. When the walls between Man and Fae come crashing down, freeing the insatiable, immortal Unseelie from their icy prison, MacKayla Lane is caught in a deadly trap. Captured by the Fae Lord Master, she is left with no memory of who or what she is. Clawing her way back from oblivion is only the first step Mac must take down a perilous path, from the battle-filled streets of Dublin to the treacherous politics of an ancient, secret sect, through the tangled lies of men who claim to be her allies into the illusory world of the Fae themselves, where nothing is as it seems - and Mac is forced to face a soul-shattering truth.


REVIEW:

I’m an avid reader and as such I feel that I’ve been lucky to get the Makayla Lane series back to back over a few months rather than the usual wait time that you endure for favoured authors next titles, however this series is getting deeper and darker with each passing title and whilst a lot of them hint at further games being played by all sides with our heroine as the principle pawn, the reader is left with another cliff-hanger at the end of this book.

Don’t get me wrong, I love Karen’s writing but this book really felt a lot more like filler than anything else to me. It is a gripping series, the characters are decent and keep you guessing as personal and professional motives seem to interplay and change as twists unfurl, but when a story feels like its going round in circles with reminders as to what’s gone before, you do end up wondering wha’ts happening. I just hope that the final book in the series (for now at least) Shadowfever, will break up a lot of the tension that’s been building and answer some questions that have been enquired about since the beginning.

2 comments:

Angela Addams said...

I love this series...it's a reread for sure! I discovered Moning when book 3 was out so I it was great to read all of her other books while I waited for the last two instalments!

Pat Hollett said...

This sounds like a disappointment and yet I've just started reading this author. I'm hoping I'm not wasting my time and get to the point where I find her books 'filler'. We'll see...thanks Gareth! :)