Friday 21 October 2011

URBAN FANTASY TV TIE IN: The Walking Dead: Rise of the Governor - Robert Kirkman and Jay Bonansinga

Release Date: 21/10/11

SYNOPSIS:

Based on The Walking Dead graphic novels/comic books and the series starring Andrew Lincoln ( Teachers , This Life and Love , and Actually ) and written/produced by Frank Darabont whose previous credits include The Shawshank Redemption and The Green Mile , this is a new trilogy of books written by Robert Kirkman and Jay Bonansinga, author of Perfect Victim and Shattered . Set in the world created by Robert Kirkman, this standalone trilogy is fast-paced, action-packed storytelling about the lengths some men will go to survive. With new characters, new storylines and with the same in-depth character-based plotting that has made the television series such an immediate hit, this trilogy of novels is sure to be a hit with those who love zombies and those who have loved the TV series and comic books.


REVIEW:

OK, I’m one of those people who hasn’t read the comic book (yeah, I know, boo hiss) although in my defence I am set to borrow them from my twin who’s a big fan and thus helped fill in some of the blanks for me as I have been watching the show. When he originally heard that I had a copy of this book, let’s just say that “hostage negotiations” started out heavily in my favour and that I got not only an exceptional deal (the promise of a load of Xbox 360 zombie games) but also the promise that a book with Kirkman backed by seasoned professional Bonansinga would only extend my pleasure of the series.

What I got from this book (having had a Governor style tactic of reading it before letting him anywhere near it) was a story that fleshed out a character who has been thought of by comic fans as one of the most heinous monsters to ever see ink with his zombie battles, his human mutilations and of course his draconian style of rule that brooks no argument as we follow his rise from a caring loving man to his own transformation to be the man fans love to hate. It’s well conceived, it has some great moments within and of course the reader is in for a treat in this new format as it was hard to put down.

All in I got a lot of fun from this and whilst I usually let others read the undead side of things, this one was done for pure pleasure and curiosity, I’m really pleased I did.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sometimes not so bad to step out of the comfort box. ;) My friends are addicted to the tv show. I've no interest. One thing that has never appealed to me are zombies. just....ewe. lol