Wednesday 5 October 2011

URBAN FANTASY REVIEW: Forever Twilight 1: Darkness Falling - Peter Crowther

Release Date: 06/10/11

SYNOPSIS:

It was a typical all-American backwater – until the night the monsters came.

When four employees of KMRT Radio investigate an unearthly light that cuts off communication with the outside world, they discover that something has taken the place of their friends and fellow townfolk, and imbued them with malign intentions. Little do they know, the phenomenon is not unique to the town of Jesman’s Bend…


REVIEW:

OK, to be honest I know Peter from his work with PS Publishing so I wasn’t that sure what to expect from this title except something spectacular with a Science Fiction theme especially when it arrives backed with a huge amount of praise from established names within the industry.

Unfortunately what I found myself thrown into didn’t come across as well as a the book blurb which I have to say is a masterful reworking of the themes within as to me, the book felt more like a mishmash of previous films and programmes such as Pontypool (2008) and Invasion (TV series 2006) which whilst watchable had something that this book didn’t, characters that you could care about. Add to this a sad lack of pace, disappointing prose and the book as a whole really didn’t sell itself too well. I can only hope that later titles in the series better this one and reveal something special as to be honest I’m more than prepared to abandon it now.

2 comments:

Angela Addams said...

Oh, no! That's too bad...it does sound interesting though :-(

Pat Hollett said...

The premise sounded so good. I was disappointed like Angie to hear your review although I do trust your judgement. Such an interesting idea though. Too bad it wasn't done justice. :(