Monday 11 October 2010

FANTASY REVIEW: Legend of Eli Monpress 1: Spirit Thief - Rachel Aaron

Release Date: 07/10/10

BOOK BLURB:

Eli Monpress is talented. He's charming. And he's a thief. But not just any thief. He's the greatest thief of the age - and he's also a wizard. And with the help of his partners - a swordsman with the most powerful magic sword in the world but no magical ability of his own, and a demonseed who can step through shadows and punch through walls - he's going to put his plan into effect. The first step is to increase the size of the bounty on his head, so he'll need to steal some big things. But he'll start small for now. He'll just steal something that no one will miss - at least for a while. Like a king.


REVIEW:

Fantasy is often a genre that takes itself way to seriously, so it’s always enjoyable when you find an author that takes a step into the imagination and turns conventions upon themselves. IN part this title has similarities between Karen Miller’s (aka KE Mills) Rogue Agent Series and the Gentlemen Bastards of Scott Lynch fame. It’s definitely quirky, it’s got some great characters and the way in which the world is built really will give the reader a great experience. Finally back that up with some top notch story arc, some great dialogue and a rogue hero who you’ll just love to hang out with and I look forward to seeing where Rachel will take the series.

3 comments:

redhead said...

I've heard really good things about this series, and I like the fact that I won't have to wait 5 years to find out what happens at the end. another one for my wishlist!

Simcha said...

I've had my eye on this book though I've been waiting to read some reviews about it first before deciding if I will read it myself. Though if you think it compares it to Locke Lamore than I will definitely want to read this one.

ediFanoB said...

I read the first two chapters of The Spirit Thief. Very, very promising. It radiate an ease which I find compelling.
I could not resist to order a copy ...