Friday 12 March 2010

ART BOOK REVIEW: Siren's - Chris Archilleos

BOOK BLURB:

The second book of fantasy illustrations by Chris Achilleos, "Sirens" is a feast for the eyes, bursting with full-colour art, sketches and development drawings in everything from oil paint to airbrush and inks. Massively popular and highly regarded, Chris Achilleos' glamour and fantasy artwork ranges from his acclaimed "Doctor Who" and "Star Trek" book covers to the erotic pin-ups that made him famous, embracing along the way Greek mythology, role-playing games, Tolkien and movie posters for the likes of "Heavy Metal". With full-colour gallery shots and pin-ups, as well as pencil sketches, "Sirens" will delight old and new fans alike.


REVIEW:

Having admired this artists work for more years than I care to remember it was a title that was met with bated breath upon its arrival. Partly because I didn’t want to taint childhood memories of the fantasy covers staring down at me from my Dad’s books but also as I’d hate to think that the artist was dated too much against the type of art coming out now. Whilst he is what you would call a fantasy artist of the ages his work really did reawaken some memories which is what is key about this type of title. Add to the mix a definitive style that means you know an Achilleos piece from a distance alongside some wonderful background and its something special for all fans of the genre.

2 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I need to pick that one up then.

Michelle said...

I've always envied people who can draw. I can't draw a decent stick figure.