Thursday 27 August 2009

URBAN FANTASY REVIEW: You Suck - Christopher Moore


BOOK BLURB:

Being undead sucks. Literally. Just ask C. Thomas Flood. Waking up after a fantastic night unlike anything he's ever experienced, he discovers that his girlfriend, Jody, is a vampire. And surprise! Now he's one, too. For some couples, the whole biting-and-blood thing would have been a deal breaker. But Tommy and Jody are in love, and they vow to work through their issues. But word has it that the vampire who initially nibbled on Jody wasn't supposed to be recruiting. Even worse, Tommy's erstwhile turkey-bowling pals are out to get him, at the urging of a blue-dyed Las Vegas call girl named (duh) Blue. And that really sucks.


REVIEW:

I’ve loved Chris’ offering since I was first presented with The Lust Lizard of Melancholy Cove. His previous books have wit and don’t take themselves too seriously as they firmly poke the tongue out at conventional fiction. However, I’ve never read a book that so aptly described my feelings in the title. This book, did indeed Suck.

Had I paid for this novel I’d have felt extremely cheated given that I’d have bought it due to knowing the quality I’ve come to expect from this author, after all its not a first offering or even a third. The characters didn’t seem to gel, they had quirks that made them rather annoying and others seemed to be added just to pad the novel out instead of doing what this novel was crying out for and turn it into a reasonable novella rather than a full story. It was disjointed, the writing pretty sloppy and to be honest an ending that was just there to tie it up quickly rather than have a showdown like I’d have expected from this type of novel. I just hope that this was a one off as if the next book is as weak as this I’ll have serious problems about moving him up my TBR pile if not to just plainly ignore him.

No comments: